Custom Licensing

Get permission to use copyrighted music for any purpose. YouTube, film, print, web, tv, advertising, corporate, derivatives, grand rights and more.

Choose a service
You submit the request with our help ($129), or let us handle everything for you ($179).
Pay our fee
If we handle the request, add 30% of the negotiated license fee, due when you sign the license.
Get answers
Connect with our experts. Position your request for the best chance at resolution.

Get valuable advice and contacts

  • Receive accurate information from experienced professionals.
  • Discover efficient solutions and avoid costly detours.
  • Access our "little black book" of protected industry contacts.

Improve your chances of success

  • Organize your request for a good first impression.
  • Speak the language of the copyright holders.
  • Make sure your request is taken seriously.

What is custom licensing?

When your project demands more than basic cover song licensing, Easy Song Licensing’s Custom Licensing services are the answer. One payment of $129 for Custom Assistance gets you everything you need to submit your requests to the copyright holders and clear the rights you need. Choose Custom Handling for $179 and we process the request for you.

Is custom licensing required for cover songs?

Usually not. Most cover songs can be easily obtained in 1-2 business days for a small fee of $16.99 or less (Check out our cover song licensing services). However, if you change the lyrics, the fundamental melody (general rearrangement is allowed however), or otherwise don't fit within the compulsory law limitations, custom licensing is necessary.

Do I need a custom license?

If you use music that other people created, no matter how you use it, you need to get a license. This is true even if you are giving away your project for free, or if it's for a non-profit. No matter the use, we can help you get the permission you need. There are two scenarios we handle:

1) For cover songs, usually you do not need a custom license. However, some exceptions apply:

  • If you changed the lyrics or melody (more than general rearrangement) you need a custom license.
  • If you want to use a song that has never been released, you need a custom license.
  • If you want to license retroactively (a previous release of yours), you need a custom license.
  • If you intend to release for any purpose other than private listening (performance, karaoke), you need a custom license.
  • If you wish to license an international song, not copyrighted in the United States, you need a custom license.
  • Learn about the compulsory law where these limitations come from.

If your cover song fits within the Compulsory Law (in other words, none of the above apply), you do not need a custom license: Click here to start your cover song licensing. If any of the above apply, or if you require some other use, you need a custom license. See 2 below.

Please note that as a result of legislative changes from the Music Modernization Act, interactive audio streams are no longer available for licensing through our Cover Song Licensing service. In some cases they remain available via Custom Licensing. Please contact us for details.

2) If you need permission for any of the following, you need a custom license:

  • non-compulsory cover songs,
  • video (including YouTube),
  • existing audio recordings,
  • music notes or lyrics,
  • theatrical productions,
  • parodies, and
  • songs that have never been released.