Do you license songs written by international composers, such as a song by a composer living in Japan?
Cover Song Licensing
We respect the laws of the land of the copyright holder. If a song is not represented by a United States copyright holder or agency appointed to administer the copyrights, we will not license it without written permission from the copyright holder. If you request an international song, we reach out to the copyright holder and try to reach a custom agreement. If that's not possible, we will not be able to obtain the license and we will process a refund in accordance with our refund policy.

Custom Licensing
Songs exclusively written by international composers can be cleared through our Custom Licensing services. With Custom Licensing, you can request a license from any country, for any use. However, the copyright holder can set any price, or reject the license outright. For this reason, Custom Licensing is not guaranteed.
What if I can't get permission? Is it possible that you might not be able to help me clear a song?
Cover Songs
We can license almost any song. It's rare that we are unable to license a song. Meant to foster creativity, the Compulsory Mechanical Licensing Law makes it possible for you to legally record your new version of any existing song, even without the copyright holder's express permission. If you ask a publisher directly, they can demand any fee or reject your request outright. But under Compulsory Law, they cannot reject the license. Even in cases where the copyright holder is highly protective of their work, this law allows small-timers to cover some very popular songs. There are some limitations, however. Easy Song Licensing will not be able to help you get a compulsory mechanical license if: - you change the lyrics of the song, - you change the fundamental melody of the song (general rearrangement is allowed however), - you request a song that has never been released, - you need to license retroactively (a previous release of yours), - you release your recording of the song for any purpose other than personal private listening by the end user, or - you request a song with a copyright holder based outside of, and not represented in the United States. If any of the above scenarios apply to you, please check out our custom licensing services.

Custom Licensing
Custom licensing can be challenging because, by law, the copyright holders maintain total control of their works. This means they can set any fee, take all the time they need, and reject the license outright. For this reason, it is important to temper expectations. Many factors affect the response, including budget, use, and even the current workload of the copyright holder’s processing department. For this reason, we do not guarantee licensure in whole or in part for any custom request, and we also do not guarantee timing, or even that you will get a response from the copyright holder. This forfeiture of guarantee extends to cases of both Custom Assistance and Custom Handling. Also, any fees paid for custom licensing are non-refundable, as described in our refund policy.
What if I cover a very obscure song?
Our experienced researchers will attempt to track down the current copyright holder for you. If we are unable to locate the current copyright holder, we can still file the license request with the Library of Congress, which covers you legally. If we are able to find any trace of the song, we won't be able to license it due to the limitations of the compulsory law. In this case, we will refund all royalties and fees paid for that song.
What is your refund policy?
Our refund policy is available online here: