When to get permission

If you distribute digital downloads (such as MP3s on iTunes), make sure to get permission for any songs you did not write, recordings made by other people (such as samples, karaoke tracks, or background tracks), and reprinted lyrics or music notes (if any). Licenses should be secured before you distribute your CDs.  Reputable manufacturers require proof of licensing before they press your CDs. You do not need to license songs that you wrote yourself or songs that you know are in the public domain.

How the royalties are paid

You pre-pay royalties upfront for the number of downloads you anticipate. We suggest licensing what you think you will distribute in one year. It's up to you to monitor your actual downloads and make sure you do not exceed what you have licensed. You can do this by watching the sales reports that your distribution service provides (CD Baby, Tunecore, Symphonic).

When you hire us, we collect the royalties from you, and then send 100% of them on to the copyright holder. If you need to reorder, you can get a new license for additional units. Our fees are half-price on reorders to make it easier to choose a lower initial quantity if you wish.

How to get permission

We can help you get permission for cover songs (also known as compulsory mechanical licenses) quickly and easily in 1-2 business days. Master licenses and print licenses are custom-negotiated upfront with the copyright holder, and are a bit more complex. For these types of licenses, check out our custom licensing services or contact us.

//Google Analytics