Close New mobile-friendly website coming summer, 2017. Learn more.
Clear any cover song in 1-2 days
Clear a Song Services Pricing Help
Skip Navigation LinksHome > About > Types of Licenses > Theatrical
Theatrical License
Permission to perform a theatrical production of a song that someone else wrote.

Theatrical licenses are custom-negotiated upfront with the copyright holder, and are a bit more complex. If you need help, please contact us.


Whenever you perform a live theatrical musical production on stage, such as My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, or The Phantom of the Opera, you will need special permission directly from the copyright holder or their agency. They will require a fee based on the number of performances, ticket prices, and sales.

Theatrical Licenses are custom negotiated between the licensee and the copyright holder. This means that the copyright holder can demand any price or deny permission altogether. To get a Theatrical License, contact the publisher directly or through an agency. A list of agencies that can help you get this permission is available here . For several popular Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, visit For theatrical licensing help, check out our Custom Licensing Assistance and Handling service, or contact us.

Tell us. Are you frustrated, confused, need help, have a suggestion? We'll work to fix it. Press enter to send, escape to cancel.
2600 N 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Since 2005 Privacy      Terms      Contact Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram LinkedIn
//Google Analytics