We will be open on Martin Luther King Day.
Clear any cover song in 1-2 days    1-800-360-5192        Your Account
Clear a Song About Pricing
Contact Us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > About > Types of Licenses > Synchronization  
Synchronization License
Permission to record a song that someone else wrote and put it to video.

We do not offer Synchronization Licenses at this time. To get a Synchronization License, you will need to contact the publisher directly.

Whenever you record a song that someone else wrote and distribute it on DVD or Digital video, you need a Synchronization License. This pays a royalty to the composer of the song for the right to use their song on your new video recording.

One common use of a Synchronization License is to record a video of yourself playing a song that someone else wrote. This is known as a cover song. For example, if you or your band record a video of yourselves playing the Beatles song, "Here Comes the Sun", you would need to get a Synchronization License.

 A Synchronization License is also required whenever you obtain a Master License to use a recording that someone else made, on your DVD or Digital video. For example, if you put the original Beatles studio recording, featuring Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison on your DVD during the credits (assuming you are able to get permission to do so), you would also need a Mechanical License to pay a royalty to George Harrison for the right to use his song (composition).

Synchronization Licenses are required no matter how small a portion of the song you use. Medleys require licensing of each song part separately. Synchronization Licenses should be secured before distribution. Reputable manufacturers require Proof of Licensing before they press your DVDs. Reputable web sites will remove videos with unlicensed copyrighted material.

Synchronization Licenses are custom negotiated between the licensee and the copyright holder. This means that the copyright holder can demand any price or deny permission altogether. We do not offer Synchronization Licenses at this time. To get a Synchronization License, contact the publisher directly. You can find publisher contact information for most songs in the databases at ASCAP.com, BMI.com, and SESAC.com.

2600 N 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Since 2005 Privacy      Terms      Contact  
//Google Analytics