Close New mobile-friendly website coming summer, 2017. Learn more.
Clear any cover song in 1-2 days
Clear a Song Services Pricing Help
Skip Navigation LinksHome > About > Types of Licenses > Public Performance
Public Performance Rights
Permission to play in public a song that someone else wrote.

We do not offer Public Performance Rights. All Public Performance rights in the United States are handled by three agencies:,, or


Whenever you perform in public a song you did not write, or play recorded music in public, such as at a club, restaurant, concert, on the radio, or streaming on the Internet, you may need to obtain Public Performance Rights. These pay a royalty to the composer of a song for the right to perform or play their song in public.

Common uses of Public Performance Rights include background music at retail stores and restaurants, playlists for on-air and web radio stations, concerts, shows, and web streaming.

All Public Performance Rights in the United States are handled by three Public Performance Rights agencies:,, or How much you pay for Public Performance Rights is based on a number of variables, and is determined by these agencies.

In many cases these rights are covered by the venue, so small indie artists and DJs often don't need to secure these for private events. If you are not sure, you should ask your venue or contact,, or for details.

Radio station operators, restaurateurs, retailers, and web site administrators should contact these agencies for further details as well. Expect to report your playlists to these agencies, and share a percentage of your revenues as royalties, which they then distribute to the composers.

Tell us. Are you frustrated, confused, need help, have a suggestion? We'll work to fix it. Press enter to send, escape to cancel.
2600 N 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Since 2005 Privacy      Terms      Contact Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram LinkedIn
//Google Analytics